The Chronicles of Bewa 97: 3% to 8%

 CHAPTER NINETY SEVEN



3% to 8%

I sat upright with my two hands fused together as my mind began reaching for evidence, pulling memories from years ago and turning them over one after another. My career. My plans. The decisions I had made. The things I had wanted. I tried to arrange them into some neat sequence that would prove her wrong, but everything felt strangely blurred.

I knew what I had wanted.

A heaviness settled behind my eyes. My thoughts moved sluggishly, as though I were trying to think through thick fog. Every time I reached for an answer, another memory surfaced, and suddenly I could no longer tell whether I had chosen something because I genuinely wanted it or because, somewhere in the back of my mind, I had already made room for him in the life I imagined.

I swallowed hard.

"That's not true," I whispered, though even to my own ears, it sounded more like a plea than a certainty.

“Bewaji…” Dr. Berot called me.

“I don’t accept,” I blurted out. “There is no way I made plans surrounding Kylian. There is just no way I had done that.”

“Okay,” she agreed, to my surprise. “Do you want to stop, think about what this means, and continue another time?”

“And spend another two weeks in agony? No, please, thank you,” I disagreed strongly.

“Alright then, tell me why you attacked Kylian’s billboard and those people two years ago?”

“What does that have to do with me losing time or fixing my inner voice?” I questioned her, really not impressed with her line of questioning.

“Remember what I said about your mind being like a knot and that we need to slowly unknot every knot for you to be okay again?”

With no other choice, I relaxed back in the chair. “I found out that my fantasy about Kylian was wrong and that he was not who I thought he was.”

“Go on,” she urged me.

“I had this image of what my marriage was supposed to be in my head.” I smiled despite my sour mood. “A man who loves me unconditionally, and I, in return, love him equally. We get to build something together and have kids that we will love and do anything for… but that was shattered when his mother came at me with some documents to sign and some rules I had to follow.”

“That didn’t go well with you,” she pointed out.

“Of course, it didn’t go well with me. If you were in my shoes, would it go well with you?” I asked her, my voice slightly raised, the frustration I had been holding back finally slipping through. “My marriage was supposed to be my safe haven, but they turned it into a business arrangement. So, I had to do whatever it took to take back control.”

“That was why you did what you did.”

“No, that was me lashing out.” I swallowed, my anger giving way to something more painful. I looked down for a moment, trying to gather my thoughts before meeting her eyes again. 

“It was my life, and they held the key to it and were trying to decide what happened to me. That pissed me off. Taking back control meant finding myself some leverage and charging them five times what they originally wanted to pay me. Kylian made it a business arrangement, and I made sure he paid dearly for it.”

She furrowed her brow. “I don’t understand you.”

“I was given a way out of the marriage, an annulment, and the logical thing was to take it, but I couldn’t imagine my life without Kylian.” I looked down and sighed heavily. The admission felt humiliating now.

“I guess you are right.” I turned my attention back to her. “I planned my life around Kylian. How pathetic.” I gave a small, bitter laugh.

“No, you are not pathetic. You had a dream like any person, and you worked toward achieving it. That does not make you pathetic.” Her voice was gentle but firm. A small smile tugged at my lips.

“You said you made him pay dearly. What do you mean?” she continued.

“They were going to force me to leave, but I couldn’t allow it, so I got myself some leverage and presented my own conditions to them. Some they agreed to while some they didn’t, but I got a little bit of control back in my life.”

“How was settling down for you?” she inquired as she jotted something down in her pad.

“It was hard, but Kylian got me a house.” I rubbed the back of my neck, remembering those first few weeks. “A big, beautiful house. I loved that house, and I also got this loving family that worked for me. They filled that gigantic, empty house with so much warmth that, eventually, it started to feel like home.”

She watched me quietly.

“And once a month, Kylian would come to see me for sex.”

“Once a month?” she queried.

“He was not going to come. I was supposed to be impregnated through IVF. Once-a-month sex was one of the conditions I fought for.” I shrugged.

She stared at me for a moment, her expression difficult to read. I looked away when I couldn’t take it any longer.

“It sounds ridiculous when I say it out loud,” I admitted quietly. “I had to negotiate for my own husband to sleep with me.”

“How did you cope with that?”

“It was hard, very difficult.” I swallowed, remembering how lonely that life had felt. “And I hated every single moment of it, but I got used to it. It was a normal life until I met Marcus, and then my normal life was no longer enough.”

“How did meeting Marcus change that for you?”

“Marcus loved me romantically, and I realized that when a man loves you and wants you, he would move mountains to be with you. He made me realize my worth, and then slowly, the normal life I had with Kylian was no longer enough. I was going to divorce him, but suddenly, he changed.”

“For worse?”

“No.” I shook my head gently. “He became more than the man I fantasized about. He loved me, and I felt his love. He moved mountains for my happiness.” I felt my voice soften. “He was it. He was the one.”

“So, you got your happy ending.”

“Yes, we were happy.” A genuine smile appeared on my face. “Months later, we were expecting our first child until we were not.” I let out the words in a low voice, and my smile slowly disappeared.

“You said something was not right about your marriage.”

“Yeah.” I shifted in my seat. “There was this young woman I met. I was going through a difficult phase of my marriage when I met her, and coincidentally, she was a good friend of Kylian. She just came in like an angel. She became my friend and held me up. She was filled with good, positive vibes, which turned negative when Kylian committed to me.”

“Why?”

“I didn’t know why, and I tried to ignore it. I really tried, but I could not. I suffered preeclampsia throughout my pregnancy. When I was eight months pregnant, my health turned dire, and I was instructed to check myself into the hospital. But instead of going to the hospital like I was instructed, I decided to go find the truth.”

“And what did you find out?”

“She was Kylian’s girlfriend.”

Her eyebrows lifted. “His girlfriend?”

I shook my head slowly, still struggling with the memory.

“Ex. But all that time, I thought she was an angel. I thought she had come into my life because she genuinely cared about me. I trusted her. I let her see parts of me that I didn't show just anyone. I told her things about my marriage, my fears, my insecurities…” My voice faltered.

“And all that time, she had been with Kylian.” I rubbed my palms against my thighs. “That day, she wasn't the woman I knew anymore. The warmth was gone. The kindness was gone. She looked at me like I was something she despised.” I closed my eyes briefly, and the memory came rushing back with such force that my chest tightened.

“She told me the truth.” My fingers trembled slightly. The words felt just as painful now as they had then. “Kylian was working on a project that required citizenship. He needed a green card, and apparently, marrying me was the easiest way to get it.”

“Could she be lying?”

“No.” The answer came immediately. “Because Kylian was right there, and he didn’t deny any of her claims. He was….” I paused, struggling to breathe past the lump in my throat. “He was just apologizing.”

“How did that make you feel?”

“Do you have to ask? I felt humiliated. Betrayed. Stupid.” My voice cracked. “I felt like my entire life had been a lie, and I was the only idiot who hadn't known it.” I pressed my fingers against my temple.

Silence settled between us before she asked quietly,

“Was that when you lost your baby?”

“No.” I shook my head slowly. “I held myself together.” My fingers tightened around each other.

“I had to. I was carrying my baby, and no matter how shattered I felt, I couldn't let myself fall apart. I kept telling myself that my baby needed me to be strong. So I swallowed the pain. I cried when I was alone, wiped my tears, and pretended I was okay.” I looked down, my voice becoming quieter.

“I thought that was the worst thing that could happen to me.” I gave a faint, bitter smile. “But I was very wrong.”

“What happened?”

“When I got home, I walked into a conversation that I shouldn’t have walked into. The loving family I thought loved me were actually Kylian’s ex-girlfriend’s family and were actually spies for her.” My eyes filled with tears.

“These were the people I had trusted. People I had eaten with, laughed with, confided in. They had been there when I was lonely. They had made that huge, empty house feel like a home.” My voice broke. “And all that time, I lived among wolves.” I wiped beneath my eye.

“It went sideways from there?”

“I didn’t expect it. I was unguarded. I thought the worst was over, only to find out that they were not who I thought they were. The betrayal was sudden and heartbreaking. The next thing I knew, there was blood everywhere, and I woke in the hospital a week later with no baby.” My lips trembled as I looked down at my hands.

There was silence, and for a long moment, neither of us spoke. Dr. Berot eventually set her pen down and looked at me.

“So, from what you have told me, what was your fault in all that has happened?”

“I should have gone to the hospital.”

“Yes, you should have.” Her answer was calm, without judgment. “But you said you pulled yourself together and got home safely. So choosing to go investigate something that was hurting you is not what caused your baby’s death, that is not on you.”

I shook my head.

“Then, I shouldn’t have gone through the back door.”

She blinked. “Why?”

“Because if I had used the front door, maybe none of it would have happened.”

“It is your house. You can choose to go through any door; it is your right. You didn't do anything wrong by walking through the back door.” I looked away.

“I should have taken better care of myself.”

“Statistically, 3% to 8% of women have preeclampsia during pregnancy. Preeclampsia is a pregnancy complication that affects a significant number of women, and the risk is higher among Black women. None of that means you caused it. That is not your fault.”

“I should have rested better.”

“You said you were diagnosed with preeclampsia from the onset of your pregnancy. I will assume bed rest was prescribed.” I nodded.

“Did you take the rest?” I nodded again, and this time, she held my gaze. “Then you did what you were supposed to do.”

“I should have prayed harder.”

She was quiet for a moment.

“I am not a Bible person, but I heard the story of David, who was God’s favourite in his time. He prayed and fasted for seven days for his sick son, and his prayers were not answered. I don’t know your relationship with God, but I know you would have prayed as hard as David did.”

“I should have seen through Frances’ lies.”

“You were in a strange city where you barely knew anyone. You were isolated, vulnerable, and desperately needed someone to lean on. Frances came into your life at exactly the moment you needed a friend, and she gave you that friendship.” She shook her head gently.

“Her deception was her choice. You trusting someone who presented herself as your friend was not a moral failure on your part.”

I closed my eyes. “I should have let Kylian go when I had the chance.”

“You were in love. Being in love is not a sin.” She placed the notepad she had been holding on the table and moved closer. Then she sat on the edge of the table in front of me.

“And if you had left him, you wouldn’t have gotten to experience the love you had for your daughter.”

My eyes opened.

“I know she was with you for such a short time,” she continued, “but the love between you was real. The fact that her life was brief does not make that love any less real. You were her mother and she was your daughter. You loved her, and she loved you in the only way a baby can.”

She reached for my hands and gently held them between hers, slowly rubbing the backs of my hands with her thumbs.

“That love happened, Bewaji. No one can take that away from you.” My lower lip trembled. “Your baby's death was not your fault.”

“No.” I shook my head. “No, no, no…”

“It was not your fault.”

“No…”

“You did not cause this." I pulled my hands slightly, but she held them gently.

“You did everything you knew to do. You followed your doctors' instructions. You rested. You tried to protect your baby. You survived things no woman should have had to survive.”

My breathing became uneven.

“But—”

“No.” Her voice remained soft, but there was firmness beneath it. “Stop looking for a reason to punish yourself.” I stared at her through my tears.

“You are not responsible for everything that happened to you.” I shook my head, unable to accept it. “And I am happy to inform you that you are not depressed.”

I studied her for a moment.

“What?”

“No. Not in the way you seem to believe.” I blinked. “If you hadn't sought help, if you had continued to isolate yourself, refused to talk about what happened, and allowed the pain to consume you, then yes, I would be concerned about depression.” She squeezed my hands. “But that's not what I'm seeing right now.”

“Then why am I feeling like this?”

“It is called grief. You are grieving.” The word hung between us. “Deeply. Intensely. And because of everything surrounding your daughter's death... the betrayal, the trauma, the guilt, the circumstances of the loss, your grief has become complicated.”

I stared at her.

“The professional term is complicated grief. And you need to learn how to grieve properly.”

My brows pulled together. “Properly?”

“Yes.” Her thumb brushed gently across my knuckles. “Not by blaming yourself. Not by rewriting every decision you made and convincing yourself that one different choice would have saved your daughter.” She shook her head.

“You cannot heal from grief while you are constantly putting yourself on trial.” She leaned closer.

“You need to mourn her. You need to miss her. You need to talk about her. You need to remember her. You need to allow yourself to love her without turning that love into punishment.”

I lowered my head as the tears finally began to fall freely.

“I’m so sorry for your losses, Bewaji. But sometimes terrible things happen to people who did everything they could to prevent them.”

I placed my face in between my two hands

"I will love to stop today's session here." She said and I looked up at her " We unpacked a lot today and I will love for you to sit with it."

 

 

 

 

Marcus stood up the moment he saw me walk out of Dr. Berot’s office and he walked up to me. The concern on his face was immediate.

“Hey, are you okay?” His voice softened.

“No, I’m not.” I shook my head. “I want to walk. I need fresh air,” I said quietly and walked toward the exit, pushing through the doors and stepping outside into the cool air.




TO BE CONTINUED ON NEXT SATURDAY, 9.00PM WAT.


Other Series 





Post a Comment

0 Comments