The Chronicles of Bewa 101: Your SOS

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED AND ONE





Your SOS

“Hey!”

A hand came to rest gently on my shoulder. I looked up, and before I could see who it was, the person had already moved around me and slipped into the seat beside me. Then I found myself looking into Joy’s bright, happy eyes. She smiled at me, the kind of smile that should warm me up, but I only found myself frowning.

“Hey!” I replied dryly, barely giving her a glance before turning my eyes back to the garden, which opened into a wide terrace, where round tables had been dressed in white linen and scattered with candles that would glow once the sun began to disappear. This was one of those afternoons in Paris when the weather seemed to have made an effort.

The sky was pale blue, almost cloudless, and the sunlight fell softly over everything, warming the trees surrounding the garden. Somewhere beyond the trees, I could hear the faint sounds of the city. A string quartet played somewhere near the entrance, their music drifting lazily through the air.

Guests stood in small groups, dressed in suits and flowing dresses, their voices blending with the occasional burst of laughter. Waiters moved quietly between them with trays of champagne, while the scent of freshly cut grass mixed with roses and the faint sweetness of the flowers arranged along the tables.

This was beautiful, painfully beautiful.

Everything looked good, felt light and alive, but I sat down in the middle of this heavenly wedding and had never felt more alone. This was supposed to give me joy. I was supposed to find joy in this. I was surrounded by beautiful things, by people laughing and celebrating, by the kind of happiness I had once been able to recognize without trying, but why do I still feel empty?

A hand touched my arm, and I flinched so violently that I nearly jumped out of my seat.

“Hey!” Joy exclaimed.

“What?” She stared at me, clearly taken aback by my reaction.

“I was just asking how you are doing?” she clarified, her voice softened now.

“We don’t have to talk, Joy.” I looked away. “I know you don’t want me here, but I promise you that the moment Marcus is ready to leave, I will be out of your hair.” She looked at me strangely, as though she genuinely had no idea what I was talking about.

“Of course, I want you here. Why would you say that?”

I let out a quiet, humorless laugh. “I don’t know, maybe the fact that you told Marcus that I was a loaded cannon that you don’t want imploding in your home.”

“Ahh!” she exclaimed, as though the memory had only just returned to her.

“Yes.” I turned to her. “You told Marcus to abandon me and that what I needed was professional help while in the lovely embrace of my family because I don’t deserve yours.”

“That was months ago. I was mad.”

“About what exactly?” I questioned, my voice sharper than I intended.

“I…I mean…” she stuttered.

“You mean the fact that I won’t leave my husband for Marcus made you mad?” I spoke loudly, unable to keep the bitterness out of my voice. “The man I loved and, in his own twisted way, loved me back, the fact that I won’t cheat on him and divorce him made you angry, was that it?”

“Now, when you put it like that, you make me sound unreasonable.” Joy shifted in her seat. “And in my defense, you hurt Marcus. He was heartbroken.” She almost looked proud of herself for having an explanation.

“In case you didn’t know, he has moved on. His dilemma was not forever, but mine is.” I watched her confidence deflate, but I didn’t care. “I lost my baby. I had so many things planned for her, but she never got to take her first breath. I was in hell, my personal hell, Joy. So tell me, who needed your support more, Marcus or I?” She lowered her eyes, and for a moment, she said nothing.

“We didn’t…” She stopped, took a breath, and looked at me. “I didn’t handle the situation well. I let my issues with you cloud my judgment. I am so sorry for your losses, Bewaji, and I am so happy you got professional help. You look better,” she uttered, her voice losing its earlier defensiveness.

I sighed heavily and rested back in my chair.

“What is it?”

“I look better, but I don’t feel better.”

“Give it time. I promise you will feel better.”

I scoffed. “Time is really becoming my enemy.” I don’t know why I am telling her this because I know she does not like me, but what the hell.

“They say time fixes everything, but I don’t want time to fix me.” I stared at the floor, my fingers twisting tightly together until my knuckles began to ache. “I just want to forget.” Joy said nothing.

“Just for an hour,” I continued, my voice growing smaller. “Hell, I’ll take five minutes. Five minutes where I don’t have to feel this.” I pressed a trembling hand against my chest. “This… this soul-crushing weight sitting right here. I would give five minutes of not feeling this soul-crushing ball in my chest.” She remained quiet for a moment, watching me with an expression I couldn’t quite read.

“Did you tell your doctor?”

“Yes.”

“And what was her advice to you?”

I let out a humorless breath. “She told me I need to live my life. To start doing the things I used to love. Things that make me feel like myself again.” For a few seconds, Joy simply stared at me, and then, almost as if a switch had been flipped, her face brightened.

“Why didn’t you say so earlier?” She suddenly sprang to her feet, and I looked up at her in confusion. “Let’s get you on stage.” She gestured toward the stage.

“What?” I blinked.

“We are performing, and that was why I went a little overboard with the suits and dresses, so, let’s get you on stage to do what you love?” She turned and started walking away as though the decision had already been made. After a few steps, she noticed the silence behind her. She stopped and looked back at me.

“What is the problem?”

“I am sorry, I am not going on stage.” Joy sighed and walked back.

“Why not?” She studied me for a moment before moving closer.

“Because I am not ready.”

“I thought you said you want some joy, right?”

“Yeah, but I am not going to get that by embarrassing myself on the stage.”

“Why do you think you would embarrass yourself? You love music.” Her voice softened.

“Yes, I do.” I swallowed, trying to keep myself together. “But all music does for me nowadays is make me bawl my eyes out.”

“Then cry.”

“Excuse me!” I retorted. Joy sighed lightly and moved closer to me.

“Music is an expression. It allows you to express what you are feeling. Singers all over the world write and sing based on what they are feeling. Sometimes, music makes you feel excited, elated, like you’re floating on a cloud. And sometimes, it crushes you, maybe even almost breaks your soul, but most importantly, it heals. It helps you confront the feelings you don’t want to confront.” I gave her a skeptical look.

“Other than the ones that I really confronted in therapy?”

“Yes,” she replied without hesitation. “Other than what you confronted in therapy.” I stared at her.

“See, therapy isn’t the solution to your grief and I am telling you this as a doctor myself. I mean, if it were, why would people still be prescribed medication even when they’re seeing a therapist?” She paused, choosing her words carefully. “I’m sure there have been times you’ve walked out of therapy feeling worse than when you walked in.” I lowered my gaze.

“Therapy is a guide,” she continued. “It helps you understand your feelings, put a name to them, understand where they’re coming from, accept that you’re hurting, and figure out what you can do to start feeling better. And honestly, I think your therapist is doing a fantastic job with you.” She held my hand. “But therapy can only take you so far. At some point, you have to do the things you’ve been guided to do. You have to allow yourself to heal.”

I swallowed, my chest tightening.

“If music makes you cry, then maybe there’s still something inside you that needs to be cried out. And that’s okay. You’re angry. You’re grieving. You’re hurting. You’re in agony, and you’re sad.” Her voice softened while her thumb gently brushed over the back of my hand. “So why not put all those feelings into music?”

I shook my head slightly.

“Pour your sorrow into the music, throw your anger into it. The pain, the loneliness, the questions you don’t have answers to—put all of it into the music and let it flow through you.” She squeezed my hand. “And I promise you, that joy you’re desperately searching for…” She smiled faintly. “You might find it somewhere in the middle of all that pain.”

I took a shaky breath.

“So,” she asked softly, “what do you say?” I looked at her, my expression uncertain.

Every part of me was screaming, I’m not ready.

I wasn’t ready to stand beneath those lights. I wasn’t ready to hear the music. I wasn’t ready to let strangers see the depths of anguish I had been buried in for months, anguish I had spent months trying to hide. Joy stood and pulled me to my feet.

“Come on.” She encouraged me with a bright smile on her face, but I abruptly yanked my hand away from hers before we took a step.

“I—I can’t.” The words came out barely audible. She turned toward me.

I shook my head, fighting the tears that had already begun to gather in my eyes.

“I’m sorry, Joy. I really can’t.”

“Bewaji.”

“If I go on that stage and do what you are asking me to do, I will break down.”

“Then break down!”

“I won’t!” I snapped, louder than I intended, and the words echoed through the room. A few people nearby turned to look at us. I immediately lowered my voice, suddenly conscious of all the eyes on me.

“Today is the happiest day of your sister’s wedding, and I know that because mine was the happiest day of my life. If I go on that stage and I break down, it is not going to be a lovely sight. People came here to celebrate your sister. They came to watch her begin her life with the person she loves. They didn’t come here to watch me fall apart.” I quickly wiped away the tears that fell down my eyes.

“I am not about to drag your sister into my agony.”

“She will understand.”

“Maybe.” I shook my head. “But no. No one deserves to feel the way I am feeling right now. I understand what you are trying to do, I really do, and I appreciate your help. I even forgive you for all the crappy ways you treated me, but I won’t ruin your sister’s wedding.” A faint, bitter smile tugged at my lips.

Joy stared at me for a long moment. Without another word, she turned and walked away. That was Joy, always throwing a tantrum whenever things didn’t go her way. Then, I watched her approach her sister and the groom. She said something to them, gesturing in my direction.

They both looked at me. There was something in their expressions that made my stomach twist—pity, sadness, maybe even understanding. Then they nodded.

What was she doing?

Joy left them and walked toward Marcus and the others. She spoke to them too. One by one, they looked in my direction with changed expressions. Then they nodded before making their way toward the stage.

I frowned.

What was happening?

I watched as Adebayo picked up the guitar and settled it against his body. Abdul moved behind the piano and began adjusting the microphone. Lucia, Marcus’s date, and Fatima took their places in front of the backup microphones. My heart began to beat faster as I watched Marcus walk over to the drum set and take his seat. I stared at him. He caught my eye for the briefest moment. He looked at me with the same look he always gave me.

Understanding!

Joy stepped toward the main microphone and blew gently into it, testing the sound. A soft thump echoed through the speakers.

“Hello, everyone,” she greeted.

“Hello!” everyone chanted back. The response filled the room, followed by a few scattered laughs and cheers. Joy waited until the room settled. “Today is a happy day. We’re here to celebrate the love between my sister and her wonderful husband.” She smiled toward the newlyweds, and everyone applauded.

“But,” she continued, her voice becoming softer, “there are people among us who may not be feeling as happy as the rest of us.” I froze.

Oh God!

Please, Joy, don’t do this.

“I would like us to take a few minutes to remind those people that even in the darkest moments of their lives, there are still things worth being grateful for. There are still reasons to hold on to hope. There is still love around them.” Then she looked directly at me. “This is for you, Bewa.”

No, it isn’t. I don’t need this. I just wish for the floor to open beneath me and swallow me whole. Then I heard it, the soft, gentle notes of the piano drifting through the room. Adebayo joined a second later, his guitar blending seamlessly with Abdul’s melody. My breath caught. I knew that sound. I knew exactly where this was going. I shook my head again, but Joy had already begun to sing, and somehow, the first note went straight through me.

You are not hidden

There's never been a moment you were forgotten

You are not hopeless

Though you have been broken, your innocence stolen

I hear you whisper underneath your breath

I hear your SOS, your SOS

I will send out an army to find you

In the middle of the darkest night

It's true, I will rescue you

I couldn't move. I couldn't look away. I couldn't even seem to remember how to breathe. It was as though each word had reached through the noise around me and pinned me in place. My fingers tightened around each other, my feet rooted to the floor as I stared at Joy.

 

There is no distance

That cannot be covered over and over

You're not defenseless

I'll be your shelter, I'll be your armor

I hear you whisper underneath your breath

I hear your SOS, your SOS

I will send out an army to find you

In the middle of the darkest night

It's true, I will rescue you

I will never stop marching to reach you

In the middle of the hardest fight

It's true, I will rescue you

I hear the whisper underneath your breath

I hear you whisper you have nothing left

I will send out an army to find you

In the middle of the darkest night

It's true, I will rescue you

I will never stop marching to reach you

In the middle of the hardest fight

It's true, I will rescue you

Oh, I will rescue you

 

I remained exactly where I was, unable to move. I wanted to leave. I wanted to tell Joy to stop. I wanted to turn around and walk away from all of it, but my feet wouldn't move.

I want to believe.

I want to believe every word they are saying. Some small, exhausted part of me wanted to believe it so badly. But wanting to believe something didn't make it true. I kept my eyes on Joy as she sang, as though she knew exactly what I was thinking.

How can they rescue me?

“Will you come on now?” she said after she finished singing, but I was stuck, and I remained caught between disbelief and longing, between the desperate need to escape and the terrifying possibility that maybe I didn't have to do this alone.

“It’s okay,” she said into the microphone, her voice gentle enough that it somehow felt like she was speaking only to me. “Just know, I’ll stand here and continue singing until you come on stage.” Then she turned toward the others and leaned closer, whispering something to them.

A moment later, the tempo of the music changed. The piano shifted first, followed by the soft strumming of the guitar. Marcus adjusted himself behind the drums, and the others exchanged knowing glances.

For he has stolen all, all of the good that you had

All the things you loved and was sure of

And I have given less, oh, oh, than you deserve

For I should rebuild this broken heart

 

And darling, when your feet are cold

Wait up, I'm coming home

And all of you, I will hold

My love will clothe your bones

Ooh, ooh

My love will clothe your bones

Ooh, ooh

My love will clothe your bones

 

A stranger to your shield, you had let the devil in

Basking in the depth of your surrender

The king of all you had won't let your fear go

But when you close your eyes, may you remember

 

And darling, when your feet are cold

Wait up, I'm coming home

And all of you, I will hold

My love will clothe your bones

Ooh, ooh

My love will clothe your bones

Ooh, ooh

My love will clothe your bones

 

And darling, when your feet are cold

Wait up, I'm coming home

And all of you, I will hold

My love will clothe your bones

And darling, when your feet are cold

Wait up, I'm coming home

And all of you, I will hold

My love will clothe your bones

The last note lingered in the air, and for a moment, I remained exactly where I was, tears slipping silently down my cheeks. I wiped my tears off with my hand. Suddenly, I looked down at my hand and realized that I was no longer frozen. Slowly, I lifted my head and looked toward the stage. Joy and the others were still standing there, watching me. No one spoke. They simply waited, their eyes fixed on me with a quiet expectation that somehow didn't feel demanding.

“And now?” Joy inquired.

Nothing had changed. The emptiness was still there, the giant, suffocating ball of ache in the middle of my chest still sat there. The pain was still as heavy as ever, but something had shifted. I felt something I hadn't allowed myself to feel in a long time.

Maybe.

Just perhaps.

I wasn't completely alone.

The thought frightened me almost as much as it comforted me, and at that moment, I took a shaking breath and took a step forward before I could convince myself not to.

 

TO BE CONTINUED NEXT SATURDAY, 9.00 PM WAT 



MUSIC CREDITS

This chapter references the following musical works:

“Rescue” — written by Jason David Ingram, Lauren Daigle and Paul Brendon Mabury

“Bones” — written by Bethany Joyce Cannon, Richard David Thomas and Simon Philip Raymonde

All rights to the songs and their lyrics belong to their respective songwriters, artists, publishers, and copyright holders. The songs are referenced solely for storytelling and thematic purposes. No ownership or copyright claim is made over the musical works.

 


Other Series 




Post a Comment

0 Comments