The Chronicles of Bewa 104: He taketh, He giveth

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR


He taketh, He giveth

It was swallowed by darkness…. My nursery.

For a moment, I stood just inside the doorway, unable to move. I could barely make out the shapes of the furniture, but I didn't need to see them to know where everything was. I had chosen every piece myself. I had spent hours planning how the room would look, where the crib would stand, where the rocking chair would sit, and how the afternoon sunlight would spill across the floor while I held my baby in my arms.

My baby.

I swallowed hard, forcing the thought away, but it lingered, settling heavily in my chest. I took a tentative step forward, then another, allowing my instinct to guide me through the darkness. My fingers brushed against the edge of a cabinet, and I paused, my breath catching. I knew this room. I knew every corner, every piece of furniture, every little detail I had so carefully put together.

I kept moving until my fingers found the curtains. I gripped the fabric and pulled it aside, then reached for the window. The latch resisted slightly beneath my trembling fingers, but I managed to release it. I pushed the window open, and a cool breeze swept through me into the room, carrying with it the fresh, earthy scent of leaves and damp soil. Light slowly spilled across the nursery.

I blinked, allowing my eyes to adjust, and then I looked outside. Unlike the other side of the house, where the Seine stretched endlessly beyond the glass walls, this side overlooked a thick expanse of greenery like my bedroom. Trees stood tall and close together, their branches spreading into one another to form a beautiful canopy. Beneath them, layers of lush vegetation stretched into the distance, their leaves shimmering in the afternoon sunlight. The breeze stirred the branches gently, sending ripples through the sea of green. A few birds darted between the trees, their faint calls reaching me through the open window.

It was beautiful…. so beautiful.

I had always loved this view. There was something peaceful about it, something untouched by the rest of the world. When I had first seen this room, I had imagined opening these windows every morning, letting the fresh air in while my baby slept peacefully in the crib. I had imagined standing here with a little one in my arms, pointing out the birds, watching tiny fingers reach for the leaves swaying outside, and listening to the sweet sounds of a child discovering the world for the first time.

I had imagined so much. I had so much hopes and dreams

I closed my eyes as a tear slipped down my cheek and when I opened them again, my gaze fell on the crib. It stood exactly where I had left it, beautiful and untouched. The soft bedding was still neatly arranged, the little pillows placed carefully against the headboard. Beside it stood the changing table, with its drawers filled with tiny clothes I had spent weeks choosing. The wardrobe stood against the opposite wall, its doors closed, concealing little outfits that had never felt the warmth of my baby's skin.

Everything was ready, the nursery was complete in every way that mattered to the eyes and yet, the one thing this room needed was the one thing I could never give it. My knees weakened, and I reached for the edge of the window frame to steady myself. I caught  sight of the empty wooden name plate on the wall next to the crib, her name was supposed to be written on that. Then, I stared at the crib, trying to understand how something I had once looked at with so much happiness could now hurt me so deeply.

A sob rose in my throat, I pressed a trembling hand against my mouth, trying to contain the sob that threatened to escape but it was no use. Another escaped, followed by a strangled cry that seemed to tear its way out of me. I shook my head, squeezing my eyes shut, as though refusing to look at the room would somehow make the pain disappear… But it didn't.

It is happening again, Bewa, snap out of it

The pain was everywhere. In the tiny clothes folded neatly in the wardrobe. In the blankets I had carefully chosen. In the rocking chair where I had imagined spending countless nights holding my daughter. Every little thing reminded me of the life I had prepared for her, the life I had been so certain we would have.

And suddenly, I couldn't breathe.

You are losing your grip, I can feel it

I stumbled away from the window, my chest tightening as the memories came rushing back. The hospital. The pain. The blood. The unbearable moment when the future I had dreamed of was ripped away from me. I had fought so hard to survive it, had spent so long trying to convince myself that I was finally getting better, but standing in that room made it feel as though none of that time had passed.

You survived this, do you hear me? You have survived this, you can again

I was back there again, trapped inside the same nightmare, watching my world fall apart with nothing I could do to stop it.

What do you mean, there is nothing you can do about it, you are not alone, go to Marcus

My legs gave way, and I sank to the floor beside the crib. I clutched the wooden railing, burying my face against it as the sobs took over, each one harder and more painful than the last. I tried to stop, to draw a proper breath, to remind myself that I was no longer in that hospital, that the worst was over, that I had survived. But the words meant nothing.

BEWAJI! STAND UP AND GO TO MARCUS

I want to. God, I really want to. I wanted to get up, walk out of this room, and find Marcus waiting downstairs, just as he had promised. I wanted to let him hold me until I could breathe again. But I couldn't move. My mind screamed at me to stand, yet my body remained curled on the floor beside the crib. I planted my palms against the floor and tried to push myself up, but my arms trembled, and I sank back down.

I couldn’t do it

BEWA, YOU CAN DO IT, GET UP

I tried again but to no avail. I squeezed my eyes shut, fighting to pull myself out of the darkness gathering around me, but every attempt only seemed to draw me deeper into it.

THEN, USE YOUR VOICE, CALL HIM

I tried calling him, but my throat had tightened, and even the thought of opening my mouth felt exhausting. I tried moving again, but I couldn't make my body obey me. All I could think about was my baby.

My Ami

My Davina

My little girl, who should have been here. Who should have worn those clothes, slept in that crib, filled this beautiful room with her cries and laughter. I had done everything to prepare for her arrival, and now I was sitting on the floor, surrounded by everything she would never get to use. I had thought I was strong enough to come back here. I had believed that facing these memories would help me finally put them behind me. Instead, the ball in my chest kept growing bigger and wider, swallowing me whole again, dragging me beneath its familiar weight

Then, call out to the biggest strength of your life

What?

He is our refuge and strength, our very present help in trouble. You are in trouble, call out to him

God?

Yes, God. He is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. He has being our rock, our fortress, our deliverer. That has not changed and it will never change

I blamed him, deep down I blamed him. How could I ask Him for comfort when I had spent so long believing He was the reason I needed comforting in the first place? How could I ask Him to listen when I had stopped believing He was listening at all?

I had once spoken to Him about everything. The smallest worries, the biggest dreams, the things I was too afraid to tell another soul. I had trusted Him with the parts of me I had hidden from the world. But after losing my daughter, I hadn't known what to do with a God who could allow such pain to exist. So, I had pushed Him away, telling myself I no longer needed Him, even as a part of me waited desperately for Him to prove that I had been wrong.

He is our father, we are the prodigal child. As long as we go back to him, he will always forgive us. So call out to him, he will listen

I don’t know how to

Then call out to him the best way you can

I lifted my head, staring at nothing in particular. My lips parted, but no words came. I tried again, willing my mouth to form a sound, any sound, but my throat tightened, and I was left gasping for air. Somewhere at the back of my mind, it started

I love You, Lord
For, Your mercy never fails me
All my days, I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

And all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

Suddenly, a thin, broken note escaped me, My eyes flew open, and for a moment, I simply sat there, startled by the smallness of it. Then I closed them again and tried to find the melody.

I love Your voice

You have led me through the fire


The next note came more easily and my voice cracked halfway through the line. A sob threatened to swallow the song, but I held on to the tune and continued singing softy.

And in darkest night You are close like no other
I've known You as a Father
I've known You as a Friend
And I have lived in the goodness of God, yeah

And all my life You have been faithful, oh
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God, yeah

'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
With my life laid down, I'm surrendered now
I give You everything

 

I sang through the tears running down my face. I sang when my voice shook. I sang when the memory of my daughter threatened to pull me back into the darkness. And when the words became too difficult to form, I hummed the melody, letting it continue where my voice failed.


'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me, oh-oh
'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
With my life laid down, I'm surrendered now
I give You everything
'Cause Your goodness is running after, it keeps running after me

And all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God
I'm gonna sing, I'm gonna sing
Oh, 'cause
'Cause all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God
Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God

We love You for that
One for all my days

 

By the time, I sang the last line, my cheeks were wet, my eyes burned, and my body felt exhausted but the first time since entering the nursery, I could take a full breath without feeling as though the room were closing in around me. My shoulders were loosened, my fingers were unclenched on my lap and the crushing pressure in my chest has began to ease. So, I continued right here on my knee but this time, my voice grew stronger

 

God of creation
There at the start
Before the beginning of time
With no point of reference
You spoke to the dark
And fleshed out the wonder of light

And as You speak
A hundred billion galaxies are born
In the vapor of Your breath the planets form
If the stars were made to worship so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You've made
Every burning star
A signal fire of grace
If creation sings Your praises so will I

 

He was the beginning and the end. The Alpha and the Omega. The One who had been before me and would remain long after I was gone.

God of Your promise
You don't speak in vain
No syllable empty or void
For once You have spoken
All nature and science
Follow the sound of Your voice

And as You speak
A hundred billion creatures catch Your breath
Evolving in pursuit of what You said
If it all reveals Your nature so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You say
Every painted sky
A canvas of Your grace
If creation still obeys You so will I
So will I
So will I

If the stars were made to worship so will I
If the mountains bow in reverence so will I
If the oceans roar Your greatness so will I
For if everything exists to lift You high so will I
If the wind goes where You send it so will I
If the rocks cry out in silence so will I
If the sum of all our praises still falls shy
Then we'll sing again a hundred billion times

 

Who was I to claim that I understood the whole of God's ways? Who was I to believe that because I could not understand His will, He had ceased to be God? Who the hell was I to questioned him?

GOD WAS STILL GOD

God of salvation
You chased down my heart
Through all of my failure and pride
On a hill You created
The light of the world
Abandoned in darkness to die

And as You speak
A hundred billion failures disappear
Where You lost Your life so I could find it here
If You left the grave behind You so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You've done
Every part designed in a work of art called love
If You gladly chose surrender so will I
I can see Your heart
Eight billion different ways
Every precious one
A child You died to save
If You gave Your life to love them so will I

Like You would again a hundred billion times
But what measure could amount to Your desire
You're the One who never leaves the one behind

 

I sang the last lines with tears running freely down my face with sudden realization that he giveth and he taketh. It was not my place to understand his way and I would never comprehend his way. Everything that happened is has he willed it and that I am nothing but mud in his hands to be molded the way he wants. 

My daughter would always be mine. Nothing could change that. Nothing could take away the love I had for her or erase the brief, precious time she had been part of my life. I am accepting that...

But I am also accepting that I could not undo what had happened. I am accepting to surrender to his will even when I am still struggling to understand why he allowed me to suffer. I am accepting that I could love my daughter and still move forward. I could mourn her and still find reasons to live. I am accepting that I would never understand why my story turned out this way but what I will not accept any longer is to let my tragedy hold me prisoner

For a moment, I stayed where I was, gathering the courage to do what I had come here to do. Then I placed my hands on the floor and pushed myself up. My legs trembled beneath me, and I reached for the window frame until I found my balance. I stood there for a few seconds, breathing slowly, my gaze fixed on the crib.

I had promised myself that I would not let this visit destroy me. I had promised Marcus that I would try and that is what I am going to do

I had thought all I needed today was strength to leave this room untouched, keeping my grief hidden behind a closed door, and somehow find a way to return to the life I had lived but maybe, what I needed for was the strength to admit that a chapter had ended and it is time to close that chapter

So, I turned towards the wardrobe and opened it. Inside were the tiny clothes I had chosen with so much excitement. The gender-neutral clothes I had brought because I didn’t know her sex. Little sleepsuits, soft blankets, and carefully folded outfits I had pictured my baby growing into. I ran my fingers over one of the smallest clothes, and for a moment, the pain rose so sharply that I had to close my eyes.

“I wish you could have worn this, Amioluwa,” I whispered. My voice broke, but I didn't collapse. I held the cloth against my chest for a moment, pressing it to me as though I could somehow hold on to the dream attached to it.

Let take it one item at a time

Then, I folded it carefully and placed it in a box I beside the wardrobe, then I took another clothing item off the carefully arranged hanger and folded it too before placing it in the box


TO BE CONTINUED NEXT SATURDAY, 9.00 PM WAT 



MUSIC CREDITS

This chapter references the following musical works:

“Goodness of God” — written by  Ben Fielding, Brian Johnson, Edward Martin Cash, Jason Ingram and Jenn Johnson

“So will I” — written by Benjamin William Hastings, Joel Timothy Houston and Michael John Fatkin

All rights to the songs and their lyrics belong to their respective songwriters, artists, publishers, and copyright holders. The songs are referenced solely for storytelling and thematic purposes. No ownership or copyright claim is made over the musical works.



Other Series 




Post a Comment

0 Comments